Code Enforcement



The Code Enforcement Department enforces city code violations that are blight issues or hazards that are seen by public view or reported to code enforcement. Personnel assigned to this program are responsible for investigating city code violations, seeking compliance via education and enforcement efforts up to and including civil/criminal prosecutions.


What is a violation?

Code Enforcement administers an enforcement program that investigates and corrects violations of the City’s Municipal Codes that govern the use and maintenance of private, residential property and commercial property. Code Enforcement also investigates and conducts inspections involving vehicle abatement, blight and nuisance, weed abatement, unsafe, illegal or unlicensed construction or conversions, and illegal dumping.


Here are examples of some of the code violations that we investigate:


Vehicles - Vehicles can be parked on the street or in public view for 120 consecutive hours. Vehicles must be licensed and operational. Inoperable vehicles on private or public property must be parked inside garage out of public view.


Parking in Yards - Vehicles can be parked in your driveway if they are licensed and operational.


Weeds and Overgrown Vegetation - Dead, decayed or diseased weeds, shrubs or brush... overgrow vegetation likely to harbor rats, mice or other vermin.


Lot Abatement - Vacant lots are to be free of trash, debris and dry vegetation.


Trash Container Storage - Trash containers shall not be situated more than five feet from, the curb accessible to the person collecting the refuse and shall be removed within 48 hours after such collection.


Trash and Debris - Lumber, refuse, abandoned, discarded or unused objects or equipment such as furniture and appliances, cannot be visible from the public right-of-way nor be stored as to constitute a health or safety hazard.


Parking and Storage or Recreational Vehicles (RVs) and or Trailers - No RV’s, trailers, trucks (semi’s) and buses are permitted to park on any street for any period longer than 12 hours without a permit. Permits can be obtained at the Brawley Police Department.


What is not a violation?

Code Compliance does not handle neighbor disputes or civil problems involving one individual against another that do not violate public law. Examples of civil issues are fencing repair disputes; overhanging tree branches (when one neighbor’s trees or plants drop leaves, debris or cause damage to another’s property or fence); over-watering of lawns; and enforcement of private conditions, covenants and restrictions.


How to report a violation

You may file a complaint by filing out a Report of Code Violation form (see below under “Files”) or in person at Community Development Services, located at 205 S. Imperial Ave.  If you have questions whether a violation has occurred, call our office at (760) 344-8622. You will be asked to provide:

Location of possible code violation - provide street name and number;

  • Provide the type of code violation, complaint or nuisance;
  • Give specific information of complaint - provide a description of make, model, license of vehicles involved, type of debris, location of nuisance on property, etc.
  • Provide your name, address and telephone - Your identity will not be disclosed unless required by law.

Enforcement Options:

If a code violation occurs, the following are options Code Enforcement Officer may use to ensure compliance:

Notice of violations, correction notices, inspection notices and order, summary abatement, citations, inspection and abatement warrants, and warnings.

 Ways to Improve Your Neighborhood Right Now


  • Report crime promptly.
  • Report nuisances and other non-criminal problems promptly.
  • Turn your porch light on.
  • Pick up the litter near your home, even if you didn’t put it there.


Finally, do whatever else you can to make your neighborhood a safe and enjoyable place to live, work, go to school, and raise a family. Remember: living in a good neighborhood isn’t a right, it’s a responsibility.


Community Development Services
205 South Imperial Avenue
Brawley, California 92227
Ofc:  (760) 344-8622
Fax:  (760) 344-2656



Report a Violation:  Print & Fax/Mail Form


© 2022 Brawley, CA. All Rights Reserved. | Website Developed by Spectrum Creative Services

you tube